Monday, October 31, 2011

When I grow up...

{everyone of my close friends knows this answer}...

.... I want to be like Oprah.

I only managed to watch her last show over the weekend. With heavy heart, I have to accept the fact that one of the bullets in my bucket list would not be crossed off, which is; 'To be one of Oprah's studio audience for the Oprah's Favorite Things'..

Oh well...

In my community, there are not many role models that I look up to. {With exception of my Mother & Grandmother}. I only 'got to know' Oprah, as in really watch her show, in the last 10 years. At that point I was drowning and needed a new perspective in life. When I first watched her show, she was the fresh air, the role model, that I needed.

I could not even begin to explain the impact she has in my life. She helped me learn things about myself. I grew up learning the values she shared in her show. I do feel sad that I would not be able to see her again every day, as the show has been my go-to for all things good.

But I do understand that it is time to let it go and move on.

Below are excerpts from the script of her show which struck my inner most chords.

 Fav # 1
“Nobody but you is responsible for your life. You are responsible for your life. What is your life? What is all life? What is every flower, every rock, every tree? Energy. And you’re responsible for the energy you create for yourself, and you’re responsible for the energy that you bring to other.

Oh, I love this one so much. And it came at a right time too. Just when I was feeling a little jaded and cynical lately, I watched this show and 'thump', a bump on my forehead. Now, I find myslef repeating the same quote 'Please take responsibility for the energy you bring into this space.' .. Hmmm.. considering to put this on my FB profile.

Fav #2
"I have felt the presence of God my whole life. Even when I didn't have a name for it, I could feel the voice bigger than myself speaking to me, and all of us have that same voice. Be still and know it. You can acknowledge it or not. You can worship it or not. You can praise it, you can ignore it or you can know it. Know it. It's always there speaking to you and waiting for you to hear it in every move, in every decision. I wait and I listen. I'm still—I wait and listen for the guidance that's greater than my meager mind.

"The only time I've ever made mistakes is when I didn't listen. So what I know is, God is love and God is life, and your life is always speaking to you. First in whispers. ... It's subtle, those whispers. And if you don't pay attention to the whispers, it gets louder and louder. It's like getting thumped upside the head, like my grandmother used to do. ... You don't pay attention to that, it's like getting a brick upside your head. You don't pay attention to that, the whole brick wall falls down. That's the pattern I've seen in my life, and it's played out over and over again on this show.

 This re-affirms the 'Be Still' whispers lately. There were times, when I was not sure which way to go, how to react, but the verse "Be still and know that I am God" have  been a constant whisper this past few months. I get it, the 'Be still' part. Now, once still,  I just need to learn to listen.

The show might have ended but her lessons, I will keep close to my heart.

Thank you, Oprah.

No comments:

Post a Comment