Friday, July 27, 2012

Know what I did last weekend?

We had planned for the trip for a while and so the long awaited trip finally came. The last time that we went, I promised myself to get unto one of these. The Scuba-doo.

(Picture from my last trip)

I wanted to experience what was portrayed on this board.
(Picture from my last trip)

Cool eh...

This time around, I made sure I would get on one, eventhough I have no inkling how to manouvre a motorbike or a motorboat,  much less 'riding' a mini submarine. (Reads: UNDERWATER)

I would figure it all out once I am there, I thought..

However when we were buying our tickets at the Jessleton Point, we were told that Manukan Island is 'closed'  to give the corals a rest from the tourists. We were offered Sapi Island instead. It is much smaller, but 'good enough' we were told.


Since we were at the jetty already, we thought, why not. After all we have been to Manukan Island a few times. Why not try a new island, yes? So we did.

And this was what we found..


Just look at that crowd




Not too shabby, but rather crowded for me.

You can even find a pen of mean looking monitor lizards..


Do not worry, despite their mean looks, they were not interested to have me for lunch. They were focused on something yummier..

In fact, they were salivating over the smell that came from what was on the BBQ pit, just next to their pen.. Satay!!

After exploring a bit of the small island, I went straight to the fun part..

Parasail!!

And then some...

I went around looking for the Scuba-do,  but was told that they only have it at Manukan Island. So, I tried the next best thing..


Sea-walking..

Oh, how I love this experience. You need to take a boat ride from the island to a boathouse anchored 10 mins away. Then, you will be briefed on what to do. (What sign language will be used underwater, what to do when your ears ache from the change in pressure; that kind of stuff)

For those who went unprepared like me, they even prepare shoes you could use underwater, as you seawalked. (Not the sophisticated kind you see divers used on National Geographic, though. It is the same kind my grandma use to go to her farm. Yes, those rubber kind. But good enough. Better than barefooted, I'd say).  

One by one, the tourists had the helmet put on them by the divers, and climbed down the ladder and disappeared from my sight into the sea. I was the last person to go.

Oh, by the way, none of my friends were game to do this, so I was with a group of strangers. By the time it was my turn to don the helmet and started to climb down the ladder of the boat house into the arms of one of the diver, I was starting to feel a tad worried. A scary thought keeps creeping into the corners of my mind; but I pushed that thought away.

I did not know what to expect, but my curioisty got the better of me, so I just had to give it a go.

So I clung to the diver as we climbed down the ladder unto the sea bed. The diver was excellent, he did not rush and dragged me down to the sea bed. On the boathouse during the briefing, we were told that we can ask the diver who is assigned to lead us, to stop anytime we feel we need to blow our nose to ease the pressure in our ears .

So I did ask him to stop. Almost every few inches downward. Not only to blow my nose, but  to give me time for the much needed self- pep talk, 'You can do this, Yellow Chickadee!'.

It felt like a long way down. For a moment, I felt as if I was in the movie 'The Abyss'.. :)

Once we reached the sea bed, it was amazeeeeeeing....


I found Nemo!


Adorable, right....

The diver captured the whole thing on video too, and we were each given a copy. Oh, and a certificate too! :)

So, that was what I did last weekend.

Oh, by the way.. You know that scary thought, I had?

It was ' But you don't know how to swim!'...












No comments:

Post a Comment